Call Us On 01223 828688 or 07825 187483

Call Us On 01223 828688 or 07825 187483


With many people now deciding to use stoves and open fires to heat their homes, the dangers of carbon monoxide must be addressed.

It is essential that you protect your home and your family by using a competent person i.e. a HETAS registered installer or local authority building control department, to install an approved flue lining system or solid fuel appliance.

HETAS is the official body recognised by the government to approve solid fuel domestic heating appliances, fuels and services including the registration of competent installers and servicing businesses. It works in approving products, covers boilers, cookers, open fires, stoves and room heaters.

In England and Wales there is only two ways to legally install a domestic solid fuel, wood or biomass burning appliance, these are:

Use a registered HETAS installer who can self certify that the work they do complies with the relevant building regulations
Apply to your local authority building control department for a building notice (document J 2002), and pay the appropriate fee (could be up to £300).

By using a HETAS registered installer, you will be given a certificate of compliance as a record of the install and that it complies with building regulations. A copy of the certificate is forwarded to HETAS who notify the local authority on your behalf.

For more information, please see the HETAS website on the links page.